Matthew 5:14-16 14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
- What of light are you? (v. 14)
Are we a light “within the darkness” or are we a light that "dispels darkness"?
- Depends on what kind of power source you have.
- Light cannot shine when it acts like (v. 15a)
Ephesians 5:8-11 8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them
- If we act and think like everyone else, we will not be light. We'll just add to the darkness.
Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- Principle: you don't overcome evil or sin by trying to battle it. You overcome by the doing the opposite.
- God light stands out (v. 16).
Ephesians 5:15-20 15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- In a world filled with complaints, worry, fear, anger, frustration, discontent, passivity, and surviving, stands out. It's from a different source. It's being filled by the Spirit.